Dare to support a cause that you care about!
I was reading an article this morning about Eve Ensler, the author of the infamous Vagina Monologues and the founder of VDay, a global movement she founded to stop violence against women and girls. The article talked about an art festival she is hosting in New York City this week, where dozens of films, theater and music performances will take place and raise awareness for the anti-violence movement. As I was reading I thought “Wow, now here’s a daring way to do something powerful and concrete to stand up for a cause you care about!”
So this week, I dare you to support a cause that you care about! There are many ways to do this, and what you choose will depend on how much time and resource you have, but here are a few ideas:
- Donate money to an organization that supports your cause. Justgive.org is a great non-profit organization that connects people with charities and causes they care about. You can go online, search for a cause, and see a long list of organizations that could use your help.
- Volunteer your time. From spending a few hours at a local shelter to attending an event (like an art festival I mentioned above) to going on a volunteer trip with an organization like Habitat for Humanity, your involvement, energy, and time can be invaluable.
- Join an organization that supports your cause. Whether it’s breast cancer awareness or child education, there are many groups devoted to promoting a cause you care about.
- Raise money for a cause. Enter in a 5K run or walk to support cancer research (Race for a Cure, for example) and encourage your friends and family to donate money to support the organization sponsoring the race.
- Write an article about an organization or a cause that means something to you and post it on your website or blog. Include in it links to places where your site visitors can go to donate their time or money.
Of course, the first step is to focus on what it is that you care about. For some of us, it is obvious. For others, you’ll need to take some time and think about it. But remember that there is no such thing as a cause that is more or less worthwhile – find a cause that you are truly passionate about and dare yourself to get behind it in a meaningful way!
Send this dare to a friend - click here!